Alonissos is one of the most beautiful islands in Greece. It is an island of the Northern Sporades island complex, located in the heart of the Aegean Sea. Green and historical, Alonissos is today famous for its Marine Park, created for the protection of the seal Monachus-Monachus, the Academy of Homeopathy, the many shipwrecks scattered around the sea, the small, uninhabited islands, and its culinary pleasures like the unique Alonissos tuna.
An island of unique natural beauty and interest, Alonissos is covered by low mountains and small valleys and has beautiful, clean beaches. In Alonissos we find pine forests, oaks and arbutus tress. Alonissos has about 3.000 residents, mostly living in Patitiri, and working in fishing, agriculture and tourism. The creation of the marine park to protect the seal Monachus-Monachus, the operation of the Academy of Homeopathy and the beauty of the island make it one of the most attractive tourist destinations for nature and history lovers, tranquility seekers, hikers and divers.
Alonissos, as evidenced by several findings in various areas of the island, has been inhabited since at least the 16th century BC. The strategic and important position of the island is evidenced by the signs left on the earth and the seas of the island by people of each historical period. It is also witnessed by shipwrecks on the seabed and by a series of very important findings in Kokkinokastro, in Alonissos, and the neighboring uninhabited islets. Famous in antiquity for its wine, Alonissos, was called Ikos, and here came to die, it has been said, Peleus, the father of the legendary Achilles. Passing through Alonissos were the Argonauts and Greeks who went to fight in the Trojan War and Roman, Venetian, Frank and Turkish conquerors. The island took its current name after the liberation of Greece.
Blue water, white sand, fine pebbles, and trees that reach the sea. Serenity and beauty. The beaches of Alonissos are real Aegean masterpieces where you will not get enough of swimming, exploring and relaxing. You move from Ilya Suites to the beach right in front of the hotel. With umbrellas and sunbeds offered to the guests of Ilya Suites, you will enjoy the sun and sea of Alonissos in one of the most beautiful spots on the island. The nearby beach of Glyfa offers water sports and endless hours under the sun.
Among the organized beaches that are worth a visit in Alonissos are Megalos Mourtias, Aghios Dimitrios, Kokkinokastro the Leftos Gialos and the Xrisi Milia beach. If you prefer to visit a beach still in its “natural” state, head to Spartinos, Votsi, Rousoum, Gialos, and Tsoukalia.
Across Alonissos the sun on the beaches plays with colors: red cliffs, white sand, many-hued pebbles and turquoise waters. The colors change depending on where you decide to swim and relax. On the beaches of Alonissos you will experience memorable moments of summer happiness and joy.
In Alonissos, apart from the natural beauty of the scenery and the thrills of the sea, you will find a plethora of attractions waiting for you to visit:
- The Historical and Folklore Museum of Alonissos, with an interesting collection of artifacts from shipwrecks, will bring you even closer to the rich past of Alonissos.
- The Museum of History and Folk Art includes everyday items and a rich collection of photographs of island life.
- Do not miss the churches and chapels on the island with their simple architecture and evocative atmosphere.
- Visit the churches of St. Athanasius, St. George, Panagia at the Mountain, Christ, and the chapels of St. Anargyroi, built on the edge of the cliff.
- The villages and settlements of Alonissos have kept their charm and beauty untouched, and their residents are always ready to welcome you and share their love of their homeland with you.
- Do not miss a visit to Patitiri, the island's capital, the Old Alonissos with its colorful gardens and quaint alleys in the nearby Rousoum Gialos, and Kalamania settlement.
- Visit the Steni Vala village, where Ilya Suites are located, with its lush vegetation and sheltered harbor. It is one of the best places to stay on the island.
- In Alonissos the International Academy of Classical Homeopathy, in operation since 1995, gathers doctors from around the world every year for information and education.
In a blessed island like Alonissos, flavorful food and culinary traditions offer their own sensations. Here you will find the unique Alonissos tuna cooked in many ways. Ask the friendly inhabitants of the island for recipes that you liked and pleasantly surprise your friends when you return home. While you are on the island, enjoy delicious fish from the seas of Alonissos, always fresh and well cooked, and the cheeses and local sweets like marzipan. In Steni Vala, where Ilya Suites are located, you will find a range of restaurants in which to enjoy all the local flavors.
How to get here
You can reach Alonissos:
- from Volos port by ferry boat (in 5.30 hours) or by Flying Dolphin (in 2 hours and 30 minutes)
- from Agios Konstantinos port by ferry boat (in 5.30 hours) or by Flying Dolphin (in 2 hours and 40 minutes).
From the 15th of June to the 15th of September there are itineraries to and from the port of Kymi in Evia.
Useful phones (H3)
Alonissos Port: 0030 24240 65595
Kimi Port: 0030 22220 22020
Volos Port: 0030 24210 38888, 28888
Aghios Konstantinos Port: 0030 22350 31759
Alkyon travel agency: 0030 210 3832545 & www.alkyontravel.com/gr/